Redcar steelworks furnace demolished

By Leila Steed24 November 2022

Demolition specialist Thompsons of Prudhoe has brought down the 111 m (365 ft) tall blast furnace at the SSI Redcar steelworks in the north of England

The Redcar Blast Furnace The Redcar Blast Furnace. (Photo: Teesworks)

The Redcar blast furnace - which was built in 1979 and was once said to be the second largest of its kind in Europe - had been in operation for nearly a century but closed in 2015 after the site’s owner Sahaviriya Steel Industries UK entered liquidation.

It was demolished yesterday (Wednesday 23 November, 2022) via a controlled explosion that incorporated the furnace’s associated casting houses, charge conveyors and dust catcher. 

The blow down is the latest of a number of major demolition works to be carried out at the site, which is being redeveloped to form part of a 1,821 ha (4,500 acre) manufacturing hub.

While the site’s Sinter Plant was taken down in August, last month saw Thompsons use 1.6 t of explosives to carry out the demolition of the Basic Oxygen Steelmaking (BOS) plant (part of SSI Redcar steelworks).

MAGAZINE
NEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox, Demolition & Recycling International Newsletter features the pick of the breaking news stories, product launches, show reports and more from KHL's world-class editorial team.
Latest News
The importance of social ‘listening’
Unicpeta UK’s Tom Marshall on the benefits of building better ESG communications
Doosan expands Series-7 mini excavator range
Company says Stage V diesel DX20Z-7 is ‘best solution for confined and narrow’ sites
Priestly Demolition’s winning Civils Demolition entry
VIDEO: How the rapid demolition of a four-lane bridge went down
CONNECT WITH THE TEAM
Steve Ducker Editor, Demolition & Recycling International Tel: +44(0) 1892 786 210 E-mail: steve.ducker@khl.com
Simon Kelly Sales Manager Tel: +44 (0) 1892 786 223 E-mail: simon.kelly@khl.com
CONNECT WITH SOCIAL MEDIA