Judges’ ‘huddle’ underway as Awards shortlists take shape
By Steve Ducker03 August 2022
It’s World Demolition Awards shortlisting time again – and that means no rest for the nine-strong international judging panel whose deliberations will result in the 2022 shortlist that will be announced later this month.
Part of the World Demolition Summit (WDS) – which includes a one-day conference and an evening networking drinks reception as well as the awards presentation and dinner – the keenly contested awards recognise innovation and best practice across 14 categories covering both demolition contractors and equipment suppliers.
These comprise: Civils, Collaboration, Contract under $1m, Contract over $10m, Explosive, Industrial, Innovation – Plant and Equipment, Innovation – Tools and Attachments, Recycling and Environmental, Safety and Training. Urban under $10m and Urban over $10m.
The winners of two more awards – New Entrant and the overall “Best of the Best” World Demolition Award – will be announced at the WDS in Vienna, Austria, on 16 and 17 November.
Together, the judging panel that will decide the outcome has more than 300 years of experience and many have been judging the World Demolition Awards since the first WDS in 2009.
- Henrik Bonnesen – market director of Danish engineering and architecture consultancy Cowi
- Francisco Cobo – immediate past president of the European Demolition Association, judging the awards for the last time before handing over to his EDA successor Stefano Panseri
- Dan Costello – who founded the Costello Dismantling company in the USA in the 1980s
- Clinton Dick – founding director of Australian demolition company Liberty Industrial
- Patrick Frye – director of large and international projects, Cardem, France
- Jim Graham – principal of US contractor Winter Environmental
- Scott Homrich – president, US National Demolition Association
- Bill Moore – vastly experienced demolition with roles including consultant ERM and positions in the NDA
- William Sinclair – managing director of United Kingdom-based Safedem and EDA past president.
Thanks to all the judges for their efforts, and to all the companies who entered for the awards.
The World Demolition Summit is organised by Demolition & Recycling International magazine in co-operation with the European Demolition Association and the National Demolition Association of the USA. The headline sponsor is Volvo Construction Equipment.